What is involved in Critical infrastructure
Find out what the related areas are that Critical infrastructure connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Critical infrastructure thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Critical infrastructure protection journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Critical infrastructure protection leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Critical infrastructure related domains to cover and 118 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Critical infrastructure, Interstate Highway System, Government debt, Fixed cost, Military–industrial complex, Public policy, Grand Coulee Dam, Public sector, United States Department of Energy, Coastal management, Wind power in Denmark, Federal Ministry of the Interior, Akashi Kaikyō Bridge, Irrigation scheme, National Infrastructure Protection Plan, Brooklyn Bridge, Smart grid, Electrical engineering, Public transport, NIST Cybersecurity Framework, Reliance Petroleum, European Programme for Critical Infrastructure Protection, Public health, High-speed rail in China, Urban planning, Security agency, Air traffic control, Electric power transmission, Spillover effect, Department of Homeland Security, Water supply network, Rail transport, Civil engineering, Public finance, Financial services, Public capital, United States Department of Defense, Homeland Security Affairs, National Diet Library, United States Department of Agriculture, Land-use planning, Fuel oil, Natural gas, District heating, Urban sprawl, Port of Shanghai, Communications-Electronics Security Group, Centre for the Protection of National Infrastructure, Critical infrastructure protection, Energy policy of Brazil, Smart growth, Patriot Act:
Critical infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Examine Critical infrastructure goals and question.
– What role(s) do or should national/international standards and organizations that develop national/international standards play in critical infrastructure Cybersecurity conformity assessment?
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Critical infrastructure. How do we gain traction?
– What do organizations see as the greatest challenges in developing a cross-sector standards-based Framework for critical infrastructure?
– Which of these practices do commenters see as being the most critical for the secure operation of critical infrastructure?
– What do organizations see as the greatest challenges in improving Cybersecurity practices across critical infrastructure?
– What do we see as the greatest challenges in improving Cybersecurity practices across critical infrastructure?
– Are these practices widely used throughout critical infrastructure and industry?
– Have all basic functions of Critical infrastructure been defined?
Interstate Highway System Critical Criteria:
Apply Interstate Highway System tactics and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Interstate Highway System results.
– What are the short and long-term Critical infrastructure goals?
– What are specific Critical infrastructure Rules to follow?
– Is a Critical infrastructure Team Work effort in place?
Government debt Critical Criteria:
Examine Government debt failures and know what your objective is.
– Do Critical infrastructure rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– Does Critical infrastructure appropriately measure and monitor risk?
– How do we maintain Critical infrastructures Integrity?
Fixed cost Critical Criteria:
Explore Fixed cost adoptions and oversee Fixed cost requirements.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Critical infrastructure agendas for the next 3 years?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Critical infrastructure project manager?
– Is the Critical infrastructure organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
Military–industrial complex Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Military–industrial complex governance and attract Military–industrial complex skills.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Critical infrastructure process?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Critical infrastructure that make it risky?
– Will Critical infrastructure deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Public policy Critical Criteria:
Reorganize Public policy planning and sort Public policy activities.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Critical infrastructure?
– What are the barriers to increased Critical infrastructure production?
– What is Effective Critical infrastructure?
Grand Coulee Dam Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Grand Coulee Dam planning and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Grand Coulee Dam information.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Critical infrastructure process?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Critical infrastructure requirements in detail?
– What is the purpose of Critical infrastructure in relation to the mission?
Public sector Critical Criteria:
Start Public sector goals and mentor Public sector customer orientation.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Critical infrastructure leader?
United States Department of Energy Critical Criteria:
Confer over United States Department of Energy tactics and explore and align the progress in United States Department of Energy.
– Do those selected for the Critical infrastructure team have a good general understanding of what Critical infrastructure is all about?
– Is there any existing Critical infrastructure governance structure?
Coastal management Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Coastal management risks and find out what it really means.
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Critical infrastructure project?
– How can you measure Critical infrastructure in a systematic way?
Wind power in Denmark Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Wind power in Denmark risks and point out Wind power in Denmark tensions in leadership.
– Does Critical infrastructure analysis show the relationships among important Critical infrastructure factors?
– Are accountability and ownership for Critical infrastructure clearly defined?
– How do we keep improving Critical infrastructure?
Federal Ministry of the Interior Critical Criteria:
Discourse Federal Ministry of the Interior planning and pioneer acquisition of Federal Ministry of the Interior systems.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Critical infrastructure workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– What are the key elements of your Critical infrastructure performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
Akashi Kaikyō Bridge Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Akashi Kaikyō Bridge projects and raise human resource and employment practices for Akashi Kaikyō Bridge.
– What threat is Critical infrastructure addressing?
– How can we improve Critical infrastructure?
Irrigation scheme Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Irrigation scheme visions and explore and align the progress in Irrigation scheme.
– Can we do Critical infrastructure without complex (expensive) analysis?
National Infrastructure Protection Plan Critical Criteria:
Check National Infrastructure Protection Plan tactics and probe using an integrated framework to make sure National Infrastructure Protection Plan is getting what it needs.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Critical infrastructure forward?
– Do the Critical infrastructure decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– Who sets the Critical infrastructure standards?
Brooklyn Bridge Critical Criteria:
Look at Brooklyn Bridge quality and adjust implementation of Brooklyn Bridge.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Critical infrastructure into the services that we provide?
– How do we measure improved Critical infrastructure service perception, and satisfaction?
Smart grid Critical Criteria:
Deduce Smart grid goals and probe the present value of growth of Smart grid.
– Does your organization perform vulnerability assessment activities as part of the acquisition cycle for products in each of the following areas: Cybersecurity, SCADA, smart grid, internet connectivity, and website hosting?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Critical infrastructure study?
– What will drive Critical infrastructure change?
Electrical engineering Critical Criteria:
Chat re Electrical engineering failures and find out what it really means.
– Which Critical infrastructure goals are the most important?
Public transport Critical Criteria:
Read up on Public transport decisions and assess and formulate effective operational and Public transport strategies.
– Can we add value to the current Critical infrastructure decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– What are internal and external Critical infrastructure relations?
NIST Cybersecurity Framework Critical Criteria:
Set goals for NIST Cybersecurity Framework governance and document what potential NIST Cybersecurity Framework megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
Reliance Petroleum Critical Criteria:
Debate over Reliance Petroleum management and probe Reliance Petroleum strategic alliances.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Critical infrastructure does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Does Critical infrastructure create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– What is our Critical infrastructure Strategy?
European Programme for Critical Infrastructure Protection Critical Criteria:
Use past European Programme for Critical Infrastructure Protection engagements and revise understanding of European Programme for Critical Infrastructure Protection architectures.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Critical infrastructure services/products?
– Does Critical infrastructure systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
Public health Critical Criteria:
Chat re Public health quality and cater for concise Public health education.
– Who will provide the final approval of Critical infrastructure deliverables?
High-speed rail in China Critical Criteria:
Illustrate High-speed rail in China quality and look for lots of ideas.
– What are the disruptive Critical infrastructure technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Is Supporting Critical infrastructure documentation required?
Urban planning Critical Criteria:
Think about Urban planning planning and look in other fields.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Critical infrastructure project?
Security agency Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Security agency failures and stake your claim.
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Critical infrastructure activities?
– What are our Critical infrastructure Processes?
Air traffic control Critical Criteria:
Chat re Air traffic control governance and ask questions.
– How do we manage Critical infrastructure Knowledge Management (KM)?
Electric power transmission Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Electric power transmission governance and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Electric power transmission projects.
– What are the usability implications of Critical infrastructure actions?
– How is the value delivered by Critical infrastructure being measured?
– Is Critical infrastructure Required?
Spillover effect Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Spillover effect issues and pay attention to the small things.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Critical infrastructure process?
– Does Critical infrastructure analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– How do we Identify specific Critical infrastructure investment and emerging trends?
Department of Homeland Security Critical Criteria:
Grasp Department of Homeland Security risks and separate what are the business goals Department of Homeland Security is aiming to achieve.
– Has your company conducted a Cybersecurity evaluation of key assets in concert with the National Cyber Security Division of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS)?
Water supply network Critical Criteria:
Talk about Water supply network engagements and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Critical infrastructure?
– Are assumptions made in Critical infrastructure stated explicitly?
Rail transport Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Rail transport planning and find answers.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Critical infrastructure strengthening and reform actually originate?
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Critical infrastructure objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– What are the long-term Critical infrastructure goals?
Civil engineering Critical Criteria:
Check Civil engineering tactics and forecast involvement of future Civil engineering projects in development.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Critical infrastructure is underway?
– How do we go about Securing Critical infrastructure?
– Why are Critical infrastructure skills important?
Public finance Critical Criteria:
Scan Public finance visions and figure out ways to motivate other Public finance users.
Financial services Critical Criteria:
Systematize Financial services quality and oversee implementation of Financial services.
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Critical infrastructure?
– What business benefits will Critical infrastructure goals deliver if achieved?
Public capital Critical Criteria:
Mine Public capital visions and pay attention to the small things.
– How do we Improve Critical infrastructure service perception, and satisfaction?
United States Department of Defense Critical Criteria:
Grade United States Department of Defense strategies and budget for United States Department of Defense challenges.
Homeland Security Affairs Critical Criteria:
Boost Homeland Security Affairs quality and optimize Homeland Security Affairs leadership as a key to advancement.
– When a Critical infrastructure manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– Does the Critical infrastructure task fit the clients priorities?
National Diet Library Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for National Diet Library planning and differentiate in coordinating National Diet Library.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Critical infrastructure with what users do day-to-day?
– Why should we adopt a Critical infrastructure framework?
United States Department of Agriculture Critical Criteria:
Infer United States Department of Agriculture risks and remodel and develop an effective United States Department of Agriculture strategy.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Critical infrastructure product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Critical infrastructure? There might be some that are less obvious?
Land-use planning Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Land-use planning strategies and find answers.
– Among the Critical infrastructure product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
Fuel oil Critical Criteria:
Track Fuel oil quality and find out what it really means.
– Consider your own Critical infrastructure project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
Natural gas Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Natural gas decisions and define what our big hairy audacious Natural gas goal is.
– Which customers cant participate in our Critical infrastructure domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
District heating Critical Criteria:
Categorize District heating leadership and probe District heating strategic alliances.
– What are our needs in relation to Critical infrastructure skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Are there Critical infrastructure Models?
Urban sprawl Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Urban sprawl tasks and pioneer acquisition of Urban sprawl systems.
– Will Critical infrastructure have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
Port of Shanghai Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Port of Shanghai quality and innovate what needs to be done with Port of Shanghai.
Communications-Electronics Security Group Critical Criteria:
Understand Communications-Electronics Security Group issues and define what our big hairy audacious Communications-Electronics Security Group goal is.
– How can you negotiate Critical infrastructure successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
Centre for the Protection of National Infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Grade Centre for the Protection of National Infrastructure governance and explain and analyze the challenges of Centre for the Protection of National Infrastructure.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Critical infrastructure leaders?
– Why is Critical infrastructure important for you now?
Critical infrastructure protection Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Critical infrastructure protection tactics and interpret which customers can’t participate in Critical infrastructure protection because they lack skills.
– what is the best design framework for Critical infrastructure organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– In what ways are Critical infrastructure vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– Do we monitor the Critical infrastructure decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
Energy policy of Brazil Critical Criteria:
Steer Energy policy of Brazil adoptions and differentiate in coordinating Energy policy of Brazil.
Smart growth Critical Criteria:
Check Smart growth tasks and remodel and develop an effective Smart growth strategy.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Critical infrastructure goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– In a project to restructure Critical infrastructure outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Critical infrastructure objectives?
Patriot Act Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Patriot Act outcomes and define what do we need to start doing with Patriot Act.
– At a high level, the challenge with the Patriot Act can be viewed as location, location, location. Exactly where is your data physically, and therefore whose government policies will your data be subject to?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Critical infrastructure values?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Critical infrastructure protection Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Critical infrastructure External links:
Securitas Critical Infrastructure Services, Inc.
Critical Infrastructure Security and Resilience – FEMA
Interstate Highway System External links:
The Interstate Highway System – HISTORY.com
Government debt External links:
10 Myths About Government Debt – YouTube
Local Government Debt Transparency – Texas Comptroller …
Federal Government Debt | FRED | St. Louis Fed
Fixed cost External links:
Fixed Cost – Investopedia
Difference in Overhead & Fixed Cost | Chron.com
Fixed Cost – Investopedia
Public policy External links:
McCourt School of Public Policy – Official Site
Texas Public Policy Foundation – Official Site
Evans School of Public Policy and Governance – Official Site
Grand Coulee Dam External links:
Grand Coulee Dam, Bureau of Reclamation – Managing water and power in the West
http://Grand Coulee Dam School District / Contact Us – gcdsd.org
Grand Coulee Dam – AbeBooks
Grand Coulee Dam (DVD video, 2012) [WorldCat.org]
Public sector External links:
NEOGOV HRMS | HR Software for Government & Public Sector
Government and Public Sector – Sprint Business
Coastal management External links:
Coastal Management Program
Florida Coastal Management Program | Florida Department …
NOAA Office for Coastal Management
Wind power in Denmark External links:
Offshore wind power in Denmark | Windpower Offshore
Federal Ministry of the Interior External links:
[DE] Federal Ministry of the Interior – ROBLOX
Irrigation scheme External links:
Malawi: ECHO funded Namatapa Irrigation Scheme | Flickr
National Infrastructure Protection Plan External links:
[PDF]National Infrastructure Protection Plan
[PDF]National Infrastructure Protection Plan, Executive …
https://www.ok.gov/homeland/documents/NIPP executive summary.pdf
National Infrastructure Protection Plan
Brooklyn Bridge External links:
Pierhouse at Brooklyn Bridge Park
Brooklyn Bridge – Official Site
Brooklyn Bridge – Worst That Could Happen – YouTube
Smart grid External links:
Smart grid. (Journal, magazine, 2011) [WorldCat.org]
Smart Grid Security (eBook, 2015) [WorldCat.org]
Recovery Act Smart Grid Programs
Electrical engineering External links:
KCL Engineering | Mechanical and Electrical Engineering
USC Viterbi | Ming Hsieh Department of Electrical Engineering
Electronics & Electrical Engineering Forum
Public transport External links:
MyRapid Your Public Transport Portal
Public Transport – hamburg.com
Public Transport – Official Site
NIST Cybersecurity Framework External links:
NIST Cybersecurity Framework Training
NIST Cybersecurity Framework (CSF) Reference Tool | NIST
NIST Cybersecurity Framework Training – NISTCSF.COM
Reliance Petroleum External links:
Reliance Petroleum Diamond Oil – Home | Facebook
Reliance Petroleum Careers and Employment | Indeed.com
Public health External links:
Home – Hamilton County Public Health
NC Division of Public Health
Home – Army Public Health Center
High-speed rail in China External links:
High-speed rail in China
http://High-speed rail (HSR) in China refers to any railway in China with commercial train service at the speed of 200 km/h (124 mph) or higher. By that measure, China has the world’s longest HSR network with over 16,000 km (9,900 mi) of track in service as of December 2014 which is more than the rest of the world’s high speed rail tracks combined.
Urban planning External links:
Master of Urban Planning | NYU Wagner
City Beautiful movement | urban planning | Britannica.com
Urban Planning & Economic Development | Community …
Security agency External links:
Title Security Agency – Home | Facebook
Air traffic control External links:
Special Use Airspace & Air Traffic Control Assigned Airspace
StuckMic – Air Traffic Control – ATC – Aviation
Spillover effect External links:
What does the spillover effect mean? – Quora
Spillover Effect Definition | Investopedia
Department of Homeland Security External links:
[PDF]DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY OMB No. …
[PDF]DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY
https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/CBP Form I-95_0.pdf
Water supply network External links:
7th Rural Water Supply Network (RWSN) Forum – Radisson …
Rural Water Supply Network (RWSN) – Home | Facebook
Rural Water Supply Network (RWSN), St Gallen, Switzerland. 2K likes. Access to clean water For Everyone, Forever
Rail transport External links:
Rail Transport | Guest Services | Shanghai Disney Resort
Civil engineering External links:
Dannenbaum – Civil Engineering Design | Texas
What is Civil Engineering? | Civil Engineering
Civil Engineering Firm Illinois | HLR
Public finance External links:
Neighborly | Modern Public Finance
Public Finance Authority
WPF – Women in Public Finance
Financial services External links:
Harley-Davidson Financial Services
Nebraska DHHS: Financial Services
Honda Financial Services – Official Site
United States Department of Defense External links:
[PDF]United States Department of Defense (DoD) DoD …
United States Department of Defense – Official Site
Homeland Security Affairs External links:
Submission Guidelines – HOMELAND SECURITY AFFAIRS
Homeland Security Affairs Journal [website] – HSDL
National Diet Library External links:
The National Diet Library, Tokyo, Japan, 1949
Online Gallery | National Diet Library
National Diet Library | library, Tokyo, Japan | Britannica.com
United States Department of Agriculture External links:
[PDF]UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE …
TARGET Center | United States Department of Agriculture
[PDF]UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE …
Fuel oil External links:
Fuel Oil Delivery Services – Stowe, PA – Reed’s Fuel Oil
What is Fuel Oil ? (with pictures) – wiseGEEK
Action Fuel Oil – Official Site
Natural gas External links:
Georgia Natural Gas® | Atlanta Natural Gas Company
Piedmont Natural Gas | Login Page
ENSTAR Natural Gas – Official Site
District heating External links:
Heating and District Heating – Danfoss Products
Urban sprawl External links:
Urban sprawl | Britannica.com
Urban Sprawl™ Dog Bed | Everyday Home Base Camp | …
Urban Sprawl | Definition of Urban Sprawl by Merriam-Webster
Port of Shanghai External links:
port of shanghai – Export Portal
Port of Shanghai – Ship Technology
WPS – Port of Shanghai port commerce
Critical infrastructure protection External links:
Critical infrastructure protection – usfa.fema.gov
Smart growth External links:
Urban Systems | Smart Growth | Lansing, MI
BBIF Florida | Smart Growth for Businesses
Smart Growth America
Patriot Act External links:
[PDF]Understanding Title III of the USA Patriot Act
USA Patriot Act – Civil Rights
Patriot Act Search – General Title Insurance Company