What is involved in Electronic Discovery
Find out what the related areas are that Electronic Discovery connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Electronic Discovery thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Electronic Discovery journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Electronic Discovery leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Electronic Discovery related domains to cover and 107 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Electronic Discovery, Bates numbering, Civil Procedure Rules, Civil procedure, Data mapping, Data mining, Data retention, Digital evidence, Early case assessment, Economic sanctions, Electronically Stored Information, England and Wales, Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, File hosting service, Flat file, Freedom of information laws by country, Glossary of digital forensics terms, IBM DB2, Information Technology, Information governance, Legal governance, risk management, and compliance, Legal hold, Machine Learning, Microsoft Access, Microsoft SQL Server, Native and foreign format, Oracle Database, Raw data, Rule-based system, Spoliation of evidence, Supervised machine learning, Technology-assisted review, Telecommunications data retention, Zubulake v. UBS Warburg:
Electronic Discovery Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Electronic Discovery tasks and find out.
– Who needs to know about Electronic Discovery ?
– Are we Assessing Electronic Discovery and Risk?
– Why are Electronic Discovery skills important?
Bates numbering Critical Criteria:
Analyze Bates numbering outcomes and oversee Bates numbering requirements.
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Electronic Discovery objectives?
– Is Supporting Electronic Discovery documentation required?
Civil Procedure Rules Critical Criteria:
Analyze Civil Procedure Rules governance and check on ways to get started with Civil Procedure Rules.
– What is the source of the strategies for Electronic Discovery strengthening and reform?
– What are the usability implications of Electronic Discovery actions?
– What are our Electronic Discovery Processes?
Civil procedure Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Civil procedure results and finalize the present value of growth of Civil procedure.
– Which customers cant participate in our Electronic Discovery domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Electronic Discovery that make it risky?
Data mapping Critical Criteria:
Check Data mapping decisions and mentor Data mapping customer orientation.
– Consider your own Electronic Discovery project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Electronic Discovery project manager?
– Who will provide the final approval of Electronic Discovery deliverables?
Data mining Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Data mining adoptions and report on the economics of relationships managing Data mining and constraints.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Electronic Discovery processes?
– Do you see the need to clarify copyright aspects of the data-driven innovation (e.g. with respect to technologies such as text and data mining)?
– What types of transactional activities and data mining are being used and where do we see the greatest potential benefits?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Electronic Discovery processes of our organization?
– What is the difference between Data Analytics Data Analysis Data Mining and Data Science?
– What is the difference between business intelligence business analytics and data mining?
– Is business intelligence set to play a key role in the future of Human Resources?
– What programs do we have to teach data mining?
Data retention Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Data retention governance and overcome Data retention skills and management ineffectiveness.
– Traditional data protection principles include fair and lawful data processing; data collection for specified, explicit, and legitimate purposes; accurate and kept up-to-date data; data retention for no longer than necessary. Are additional principles and requirements necessary for IoT applications?
– What management system can we use to leverage the Electronic Discovery experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Do the Electronic Discovery decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– Is the scope of Electronic Discovery defined?
Digital evidence Critical Criteria:
Add value to Digital evidence tactics and adopt an insight outlook.
– what is the best design framework for Electronic Discovery organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– How important is Electronic Discovery to the user organizations mission?
Early case assessment Critical Criteria:
Merge Early case assessment results and customize techniques for implementing Early case assessment controls.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Electronic Discovery services/products?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Electronic Discovery?
– Is Electronic Discovery Required?
Economic sanctions Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Economic sanctions outcomes and stake your claim.
– Have the types of risks that may impact Electronic Discovery been identified and analyzed?
– What about Electronic Discovery Analysis of results?
– What threat is Electronic Discovery addressing?
Electronically Stored Information Critical Criteria:
Group Electronically Stored Information engagements and get the big picture.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Electronic Discovery is underway?
– Is there a Electronic Discovery Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– What vendors make products that address the Electronic Discovery needs?
England and Wales Critical Criteria:
Inquire about England and Wales results and report on the economics of relationships managing England and Wales and constraints.
– How can you negotiate Electronic Discovery successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– How can skill-level changes improve Electronic Discovery?
Federal Rules of Civil Procedure Critical Criteria:
X-ray Federal Rules of Civil Procedure decisions and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– What is our Electronic Discovery Strategy?
File hosting service Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with File hosting service adoptions and test out new things.
– Is the Electronic Discovery organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– How can you measure Electronic Discovery in a systematic way?
– Do we all define Electronic Discovery in the same way?
Flat file Critical Criteria:
Check Flat file goals and transcribe Flat file as tomorrows backbone for success.
– Think of your Electronic Discovery project. what are the main functions?
– Why is Electronic Discovery important for you now?
Freedom of information laws by country Critical Criteria:
Drive Freedom of information laws by country visions and innovate what needs to be done with Freedom of information laws by country.
– Does Electronic Discovery include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– What are the long-term Electronic Discovery goals?
Glossary of digital forensics terms Critical Criteria:
Explore Glossary of digital forensics terms strategies and perfect Glossary of digital forensics terms conflict management.
– Do those selected for the Electronic Discovery team have a good general understanding of what Electronic Discovery is all about?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Electronic Discovery study?
IBM DB2 Critical Criteria:
Accommodate IBM DB2 risks and get going.
– In the case of a Electronic Discovery project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Electronic Discovery project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Electronic Discovery project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Electronic Discovery? There might be some that are less obvious?
– How will you know that the Electronic Discovery project has been successful?
Information Technology Critical Criteria:
Infer Information Technology goals and probe Information Technology strategic alliances.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Electronic Discovery workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
Information governance Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Information governance results and give examples utilizing a core of simple Information governance skills.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Electronic Discovery product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– How does your organization assess staff training needs and ensure job/role specific information governance training is provided to all staff?
– How is the chief executive or equivalent management board consulted and/or informed of information governance issues?
– What governance arrangements do you have in place to support the current and evolving information governance agenda?
– What is the organizations most effective method of training for information governance knowledge and skills?
– In relation to information governance, what are the key challenges or changes facing your organization?
– What is the organizations preferred method of training for information governance knowledge and skills?
– What is the purpose of Electronic Discovery in relation to the mission?
Legal governance, risk management, and compliance Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Legal governance, risk management, and compliance strategies and correct Legal governance, risk management, and compliance management by competencies.
– Does Electronic Discovery analysis show the relationships among important Electronic Discovery factors?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Electronic Discovery project?
Legal hold Critical Criteria:
Analyze Legal hold governance and correct Legal hold management by competencies.
– What is our formula for success in Electronic Discovery ?
– How do we go about Securing Electronic Discovery?
Machine Learning Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Machine Learning tasks and get out your magnifying glass.
– What are the long-term implications of other disruptive technologies (e.g., machine learning, robotics, data analytics) converging with blockchain development?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Electronic Discovery activities?
– Does our organization need more Electronic Discovery education?
Microsoft Access Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Microsoft Access leadership and arbitrate Microsoft Access techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Electronic Discovery process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Electronic Discovery process available?
– Think about the functions involved in your Electronic Discovery project. what processes flow from these functions?
Microsoft SQL Server Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Microsoft SQL Server planning and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Microsoft SQL Server information.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Electronic Discovery in a volatile global economy?
– For your Electronic Discovery project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Does Electronic Discovery analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– Can Microsoft SQL Server Express be contacted?
Native and foreign format Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Native and foreign format adoptions and correct better engagement with Native and foreign format results.
Oracle Database Critical Criteria:
Reason over Oracle Database quality and define what do we need to start doing with Oracle Database.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Electronic Discovery values?
Raw data Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Raw data tasks and customize techniques for implementing Raw data controls.
– Does the information infrastructure convert raw data into more meaningful, relevant information to create knowledgeable and wise decisions that assists personnel in carrying out their enterprise Risk Management and other responsibilities?
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Electronic Discovery? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Will raw data (not processed, analyzed or associated with publications) be relevant to store for reuse in your or others future projects?
– When the raw data is collected, how will the information be coded or transcribed?
– How do we go about Comparing Electronic Discovery approaches/solutions?
– How will you measure your Electronic Discovery effectiveness?
Rule-based system Critical Criteria:
Examine Rule-based system governance and interpret which customers can’t participate in Rule-based system because they lack skills.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Electronic Discovery requirements in detail?
Spoliation of evidence Critical Criteria:
Examine Spoliation of evidence quality and observe effective Spoliation of evidence.
– What are all of our Electronic Discovery domains and what do they do?
– What is Effective Electronic Discovery?
Supervised machine learning Critical Criteria:
See the value of Supervised machine learning leadership and oversee implementation of Supervised machine learning.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Electronic Discovery?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Electronic Discovery move?
Technology-assisted review Critical Criteria:
Unify Technology-assisted review adoptions and describe the risks of Technology-assisted review sustainability.
Telecommunications data retention Critical Criteria:
Huddle over Telecommunications data retention engagements and budget for Telecommunications data retention challenges.
Zubulake v. UBS Warburg Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Zubulake v. UBS Warburg outcomes and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Zubulake v. UBS Warburg results.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Electronic Discovery leader?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Electronic Discovery process?
– Why should we adopt a Electronic Discovery framework?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Electronic Discovery Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Electronic Discovery External links:
Electronic Discovery | Department of Enterprise Services
Electronic Discovery – FindLaw
“Electronic Discovery in the Cloud” by Alberto G. Araiza
Bates numbering External links:
Add headers, footers, and Bates numbering to PDFs, …
http://Bates numbering (also known as Bates stamping, Bates branding, Bates coding or Bates labeling) is used in the legal, medical, and business fields to place identifying numbers and/or date/time-marks on images and documents as they are scanned or processed, for example, during the discovery stage of preparations for trial or identifying business receipts.
Bates Numbering Machine | eBay
Civil procedure External links:
Title 4 RCW: CIVIL PROCEDURE – Washington- Title 4
Data mapping External links:
What is Data Mapping? – Bridging the Gap
Data Mapping Software – Free Trial & Demo
http://Ad · info.astera.com/Data-Mapping
Data Mapping Software – Free Trial & Demo
http://Ad · info.astera.com/Data-Mapping
Data mining External links:
Job Titles in Data Mining – kdnuggets.com
[PDF]Data Mining Mining Text Data – tutorialspoint.com
Title Data Mining Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Data retention External links:
Netflow: data retention – Salesforce.com
[DOC]Data Retention Policy – hr.waddell.com
[PDF]Data Retention and Destruction Policy
Digital evidence External links:
Digital evidence or electronic evidence is any probative information stored or transmitted in digital form that a party to a court case may use at trial.
QueTel Corporation | Digital Evidence Management …
[PDF]Massachusetts digital evidence guide
Early case assessment External links:
Early Case Assessment | Lighthouse eDiscovery
Early Case Assessment – The Basics of E-Discovery Guide
Economic sanctions External links:
[PDF]TRADE OR ECONOMIC SANCTIONS ENDORSEMENT
Economic Sanctions and Political Repression: Assessing …
Economic sanctions (Book, 2015) [WorldCat.org]
Electronically Stored Information External links:
Electronically stored information (ESI), for the purpose of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure (FRCP) is information created, manipulated, communicated, stored, and best utilized in digital form, requiring the use of computer hardware and software.
England and Wales External links:
Find a will or probate document (England and Wales) – GOV.UK
Quality imports from Scotland, Ireland, England and Wales.
Cycling Holidays in the UK, Cycle Tours in England and Wales
Federal Rules of Civil Procedure External links:
[PDF]Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, Rule 4 Summons
Federal Rules of Civil Procedure – 2017 Official Edition
File hosting service External links:
DET File Hosting Service with Enhanced Recovery
9xFile.Com – Free File Hosting Service
Best File Hosting Service – Super Shareware
Flat file External links:
Shop Kobalt 10-in Mill Flat File at Lowes.com
What are flat file and relational databases?
Flatter Files – A Digital Flat File Cabinet
Freedom of information laws by country External links:
Freedom of information laws by country – WOW.com
Glossary of digital forensics terms External links:
Glossary of digital forensics terms – Revolvy
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/Glossary of digital forensics terms
Glossary of digital forensics terms – topics.revolvy.com
https://topics.revolvy.com/topic/Glossary of digital forensics terms
IBM DB2 External links:
IBM DB2 | FileMaker Community
IBM Db2 – Database software – IBM Analytics
Security Vulnerability: IBM DB2 Universal Database …
Information Technology External links:
Box @ IU | University Information Technology Services
Umail | University Information Technology Services
IUanyWare | University Information Technology Services
Information governance External links:
Information Governance (IG) – American Health …
ZyLAB | eDiscovery & Information Governance
InfoGovCon: The Information Governance Conference 2017
Legal hold External links:
6-7.3 Procedures to Follow When a Legal Hold Notice Is …
Microsoft Access External links:
How to create a running totals query in Microsoft Access
Download Microsoft Access Now – softwarekeep.com
http://Ad · softwarekeep.com/Microsoft/Access
Microsoft SQL Server External links:
Update Center for Microsoft SQL Server
Native and foreign format External links:
Native and foreign format – WOW.com
Oracle Database External links:
Oracle Database Upgrade Guide, 12c Release 2 (12.2)
Raw data External links:
How to Upload Your AncestryDNA Raw Data to Gedmatch – YouTube
HMDA LAR & TS Raw Data Windows Application
Raw Data – Survios
Rule-based system External links:
What is RULE-BASED SYSTEM – Science Dictionary
Rule-based systems – Association for Computing Machinery
What is a rule-based system? – j-paine.org
Technology-assisted review External links:
Technology-Assisted Review – counseloncall.com
Telecommunications data retention External links:
Telecommunications Data Retention and Human …
Zubulake v. UBS Warburg External links:
Zubulake v. UBS Warburg – Kroll Ontrack UK
Zubulake v. UBS Warburg LLC Case Brief – Quimbee