What is involved in Data Masking
Find out what the related areas are that Data Masking connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Data Masking thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Data Masking journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Data Masking leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Data Masking related domains to cover and 61 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Data Masking, Application software, Attribute-Based Access Control, Continuous delivery, Data breach, Data field, Data integrity, Format-preserving encryption, Format Preserving Encryption, Luhn algorithm, Masking and unmasking by intelligence agencies, Personally identifiable information, Software testing:
Data Masking Critical Criteria:
Start Data Masking visions and balance specific methods for improving Data Masking results.
– What are the key elements of your Data Masking performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– What are the disruptive Data Masking technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Are inadequate approaches to data masking driving companies to compromise security?
– How is the value delivered by Data Masking being measured?
Application software Critical Criteria:
Generalize Application software outcomes and catalog what business benefits will Application software goals deliver if achieved.
– what is the best design framework for Data Masking organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– How do you manage the new access devices using their own new application software?
– Is the process effectively supported by the legacy application software?
– Have all basic functions of Data Masking been defined?
– Is a Data Masking Team Work effort in place?
Attribute-Based Access Control Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Attribute-Based Access Control governance and adopt an insight outlook.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Data Masking? There might be some that are less obvious?
– What are our Data Masking Processes?
Continuous delivery Critical Criteria:
Grasp Continuous delivery engagements and catalog what business benefits will Continuous delivery goals deliver if achieved.
– A competitive edge, excellent. Focus on continuous delivery. Move on to continuous deployment because that is going to provide your business value. But look at your individual business. Look at your environment and say is that what gives us the competitive edge?
– Does your organization run a Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) process?
– What is the source of the strategies for Data Masking strengthening and reform?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Data Masking Management?
– Does your organization hope to achieve continuous delivery?
– Why is Data Masking important for you now?
Data breach Critical Criteria:
Survey Data breach engagements and slay a dragon.
– One day; you may be the victim of a data breach and need to answer questions from customers and the press immediately. Are you ready for each possible scenario; have you decided on a communication plan that reduces the impact on your support team while giving the most accurate information to the data subjects? Who is your company spokesperson and will you be ready even if the breach becomes public out of usual office hours?
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Data Masking in a volatile global economy?
– Have policies and procedures been established to ensure the continuity of data services in an event of a data breach, loss, or other disaster (this includes a disaster recovery plan)?
– What staging or emergency preparation for a data breach or E-Discovery could be established ahead of time to prepare or mitigate a data breach?
– Would you be able to notify a data protection supervisory authority of a data breach within 72 hours?
– Does Data Masking create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Data breach notification: what to do when your personal data has been breached?
– Do you have a communication plan ready to go after a data breach?
– How does the GDPR affect policy surrounding data breaches?
– Are you sure you can detect data breaches?
– Who is responsible for a data breach?
– Are there Data Masking problems defined?
Data field Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Data field outcomes and check on ways to get started with Data field.
– For other types of programs, decision rights may require more negotiation. for example, who should decide the length of a data field in a new system?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Data Masking strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Data Masking activities?
– Who should decide the length of a data field in a new system?
– What data fields are targeted for migration?
Data integrity Critical Criteria:
Scan Data integrity strategies and get going.
– Integrity/availability/confidentiality: How are data integrity, availability, and confidentiality maintained in the cloud?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Data Masking goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Can we rely on the Data Integrity?
– Data Integrity, Is it SAP created?
– How do we go about Securing Data Masking?
– Is Data Masking Required?
Format-preserving encryption Critical Criteria:
Mix Format-preserving encryption adoptions and attract Format-preserving encryption skills.
– What are all of our Data Masking domains and what do they do?
– What are the long-term Data Masking goals?
– Why should we adopt a Data Masking framework?
Format Preserving Encryption Critical Criteria:
Devise Format Preserving Encryption management and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Format Preserving Encryption decisions.
– Who needs to know about Data Masking ?
– What about Data Masking Analysis of results?
Luhn algorithm Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Luhn algorithm outcomes and find out.
– Think of your Data Masking project. what are the main functions?
– Are there recognized Data Masking problems?
Masking and unmasking by intelligence agencies Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Masking and unmasking by intelligence agencies failures and oversee Masking and unmasking by intelligence agencies management by competencies.
– Are accountability and ownership for Data Masking clearly defined?
Personally identifiable information Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Personally identifiable information failures and report on setting up Personally identifiable information without losing ground.
– When sharing data, are appropriate procedures, such as sharing agreements, put in place to ensure that any Personally identifiable information remains strictly confidential and protected from unauthorized disclosure?
– Think about the functions involved in your Data Masking project. what processes flow from these functions?
– In what ways are Data Masking vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– Does the company collect personally identifiable information electronically?
– What is Personal Data or Personally Identifiable Information (PII)?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Data Masking move?
Software testing Critical Criteria:
Mix Software testing outcomes and summarize a clear Software testing focus.
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Data Masking project?
– Does Data Masking appropriately measure and monitor risk?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Data Masking Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Data Masking External links:
Data Masking and Subsetting Guide – Contents – Oracle
Application software External links:
Title application software Free Download for Windows
wiTECH Diagnostic Application Software Download – …
Chapter 3 – Application Software
Continuous delivery External links:
Continuous Delivery (eBook, 2014) [WorldCat.org]
Continuous Delivery & DevOps – bmc.com
http://Ad · www.bmc.com/Continuous/Delivery
What is Continuous Delivery? – Continuous Delivery
Data breach External links:
Equifax Data Breach Affects Millions of Consumers. …
2016-2017 Data Breach Response Guide – Experian
Equifax Data Breach FAQs | TransUnion
Data field External links:
How to Uncapitalize a Large Data Field in Excel | Chron.com
Data integrity External links:
Data Integrity Jobs – Apply Now | CareerBuilder
Data Integrity Specialist Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
[PDF]Data Integrity Manager JD – laerdaltraining.com
Format-preserving encryption External links:
c# – Format-preserving Encryption sample – Stack Overflow
[PDF]A Synopsis of Format-Preserving Encryption
Format Preserving Encryption External links:
[PDF]Format Preserving Encryption using Feistel Cipher – …
FORMAT PRESERVING ENCRYPTION SYSTEMS FOR …
Luhn algorithm External links:
Luhn algorithm – Wiktionary
Online calculator: Luhn algorithm – planetcalc
Luhn Algorithm – ticalc.org
Masking and unmasking by intelligence agencies External links:
Masking and unmasking by intelligence agencies – …
Personally identifiable information External links:
Personally Identifiable Information (PII) – RMDA
Personally Identifiable Information (PII) – RMDA
Software testing External links:
Software Testing, Monitoring, Developer Tools | SmartBear
tap|QA – Software Testing, Continuous Integration, Selenium
Software Testing and Deployment | Olenick